 Off-Topic / Debate / 28014
Re: The Brick Testament - More Teachings of Jesus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2006 19:21:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   I believe that many predictions of the Big Bang theory have been verified which is why I say there is an overwhelming body of evidence for it. There is admittedly far more evidence not against it but that isn’t what I was referring to.

Well, I’m trying to be strictly accurate there. It’s not that the evidence proves the conclusion, it’s that the evidence doesn’t contradict the conclusion. If we had (for example) two conflicting ideas about the origin of the universe (the Big Bang Theory and the Invisible Minifig Theory), but somehow BOTH of them fit all the available evidence, science doesn’t know what to do.

Well, that’s not really true-- Science knows *exactly* what to do. It tries to figure out some experiment which will definitely contradict ONE of the two theories, no matter WHAT its outcome. It tries to conduct the experiment, and see what new evidence it yields. If the experiment was a good one, then one or both theories is/are invalidated.

Hence, speaking in the strictest possible terms, the evidence doesn’t actually *support* the Big Bang, but instead invalidates any *other* falsifiable theory that people have come up with to date (that I know of).

DaveE