 Off-Topic / Debate / 27975
Re: The Brick Testament - More Teachings of Jesus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2006 23:01:13 GMT

Hi, John.

   Do you mean “to have been kept”?

I’ve seen you draw this distinction in other posts here, and meant to ask you how exactly you derive this idea that the Old Testament is “contextual to the time” while the New Testament (presumably in your mind) is not merely so.

Your decription of the Old Testament as containing “a lot of historical information, including ancient worship practices, which have changed over time as cultures have changed/evolved” seems to fly in the face of how the Old Testament presents itself, and I would argue, how Jesus seems to have regarded the Old Testament (which, of course, to fellow Jews of his time was simply thought of as “the Bible”).

Do you contend that Jesus thought of the Old Testament in the same terms you do? If so, is this idea gleaned from a reading of Jesus’s words in the Gospels? Or do you have some other source of info on the matter (direct revelation? another reliable source of what Jesus thought)? Or does your estimation of the Old Testament profoundly differ from Jesus’s own?

It is abundantly clear that the Old Testament does not present itself in anything like the manner you describe it. Nowhere in the Old Testament is there the merest hint of “this is simply our best understanding of God and to be taken with a grain of salt”. Far from it. It purports to tell you *exactly* what God has said and done, what God is like, and what God wants and doesn’t want from humans.

When you turn to the Gospels, do you find Jesus portraying the Old Testament in anything like the terms you present it? Again, I would say far from it. Jesus was quite specific in Matthew 5:17-18

Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law of Moses or the Prophets. I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them. In truth I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not even the smallest stroke of a letter will pass away from The Law.

He was talking to a crowd of fellow Jews who certainly did not share your views on the significance of the Old Testament. To Jesus’s audience, The Law was as valid as the day it was revealed to Moses. Jesus seemingly had every opportunity to clear up this major misunderstanding of the Old Testament if he believed there to be such a misunderstanding. But the only misunderstanding he is guarding against here is that some people might think he’s come to abolish The Law, and so he specifies that that is not the case at all, and that The Law of Moses will remain valid and unchanged until heaven and earth pass away.

This is about as unambiguous as Jesus (or the Bible in general) gets, so I don’t really see how there is much wiggle room to derive some contrary interpretation out of this.

   (and we are talking 4,000 to 5,000 years ago). That is a loooong time ago.

If you are talking about when The Law was given to Moses, even most religious estimates put this date at 3,300 and 3,500 years ago, which for Jesus and the Jews of his time would have been a mere 1,300 to 1,800 years ago.

Think about that for a second. You are arguing (if I understand you correctly) that Jesus shared your view that the Old Testament was simply an ancient record of how ancient people understood God and their relationship to him and that it is not reliable as a source for religious truths. And you support your argument by pointing to the old age of the Old Testament. But compare: to Jesus and Jews of his time, the giving of The Law was something that happened 1,300 to 1,800 years ago. To you living now, Jesus’s words and actions are even older than that!

So my question is: why do you take the New Testament as a source for unchanging religious truths that aren’t simply “ancient worship practices, which have changed over time as cultures have changed/evolved”, but refuse to take the Old Testament in the same way? This is especially confounding when it is quite clear from the (reliable in your mind) Gospels, where Jesus shows every sign of himself taking the Old Testament as seriously as you take the New Testament.

   Well, the only human immolating that went on that among the Israelites that I know of is the call for the sacrifice of Isaac (which was recanted anyway).

Leviticus 18:14
If a man marries a woman and her mother, that is wicked. All three shall be burnt to death.

Presumably this was rare, but happened on occasion. And since in this case immolation is the prescribed manner of death, that would seem to make immolation a possible recourse for the many places in The Law where death is called for, but the manner of killing the sinner is not specified.

Samson immolates his girlfriend and her father in Judges 15:6.

There are also several cases in which whole cities were burnt to the ground by the Israelites, presumably with a few last survivors to become immolated. If that’s too speculative for you, there is the clear cut case of Abimelech, the king of Israel locking 1,000 men and women of Schechem into a room and setting fire to it, burning them all to death.

   Still, I would explain such interpretations of God’s will as just that-- contextual to the time

Again I ask what makes “Do unto others”, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life” or anything else from the New Testament any less contextual to the time than “I Yahweh your god am a jealous god, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation” or “If a man has sex with a man in same way as with a woman, they have committed an abomination. They are certainly to be put to death” or any other quote from the Old Testament?

If it’s simply a matter of blind faith on your part, feel free to say so. That would clear things up in a jiff. But if you believe you have rational reasons for making this profound and yet seemingly arbitrary distinction, I am genuinely curious to hear them.

   So my point to you was that we can read how the Israelites understood how they related to their God, not necessary how one can for all time.

At the risk of sounding like a broekn record, I again ask: why do you not therefore similarly view the New Testament as simply a record of how ancient Christians understood how they related to their God, not necessarily how one can for all time?

   The important part to glean is that God never changes.

And where exactly do you glean this bit of information from? The Bible, whether Old Testament or New does not seem to support it. Again, if it’s simply a matter of faith on your part, or if you view it as a revelation you received, that’s fine. But don’t be too surprised if others don’t see it with the same clarity or think that the Bible supports that view.

   It’s true that “God is good” is a faith statement, but God is immutable by definition.

Well, you can (and people certainly do) define God in all sorts of ways. One of the biggest troubles when people get together to talk about God is that each participant may have a subtly or profoundly different conception of God. Bizarrely (to me at least), people often assume that their own conception of God is the same one others share, and this assumption leads to all kinds of fruitless and time-wasting debate that could have been avoided if people simply recognized from the start that people conceive of God quite differently and this needs to be dealt with first in any God discussion.

I think it’s quite safe to posit that the majority of people who have lived on earth have not conceived of a God who has “immutable” as a necessary characteristic. I would guess not even a majority of Christians hold that view, so I think it is quite presumptous of you to assert that “God is immutable by definition” as if this is some widely-accepted definition and not merely your own (and perhaps that of a relatively tiny number of theologians).

   I think that the Christian understanding of God as revealed by Jesus is about as much as we are going to learn about God (in this lifetime anyway).

And what makes Jesus’s “revelations” about God trustworthy to the point where you seem to have supreme confidence in that trustworthiness?

I suppose we could also have a debate about how exactly an “immutable” God can take any actions at all (such as sending his son--or himself in human form? to live on earth), but I’m much less interested in that subject to be honest.

-Brendan