 Off-Topic / Debate / 28022
Re: The Brick Testament - More Teachings of Jesus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:08:59 GMT

<snip>

Occam's Razor - the onus is on YOU to explain how an omniscient being
just came into being, then created the universe.

Here's how: The omniscient, omnipotent being always was, {by definition}.
Irrational?  You bet.

<snip>

So you are saying that there is only meaning in the rational?  Is there
meaning in love?  Can you explain love rationally?

[JOHN]

jumping in here again with this brief blurb--

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20061023/cm_huffpost/032164

"
Chamberlainites are apt to quote the late Stephen Jay Gould's 'NOMA' -
'non-overlapping magisteria'. Gould claimed that science and true religion never
come into conflict because they exist in completely separate dimensions of
discourse:

To say it for all my colleagues and for the umpteenth millionth time (from
college bull sessions to learned treatises): science simply cannot (by its
legitimate methods) adjudicate the issue of God's possible superintendence of
nature. We neither affirm nor deny it; we simply can't comment on it as
scientists.
This sounds terrific, right up until you give it a moment's thought. You then
realize that the presence of a creative deity in the universe is clearly a
scientific hypothesis. Indeed, it is hard to imagine a more momentous hypothesis
in all of science. A universe with a god would be a completely different kind of
universe from one without, and it would be a scientific difference. God could
clinch the matter in his favour at any moment by staging a spectacular
demonstration of his powers, one that would satisfy the exacting standards of
science. Even the infamous Templeton Foundation recognized that God is a
scientific hypothesis - by funding double-blind trials to test whether remote
prayer would speed the recovery of heart patients. It didn't, of course,
although a control group who knew they had been prayed for tended to get worse
(how about a class action suit against the Templeton Foundation?) Despite such
well-financed efforts, no evidence for God's existence has yet appeared.
"

the whole article is a lengthy read and it'll take some time to parse, but a
ffew good points there.

Dave K