 Off-Topic / Debate / 24229
Re: Not Saving Private Ryan.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 08:35:24 GMT

   But back then, the USA were not getting implicated in foreign affairs (good ol’ times...) and France and GB cowered in front of Hitler, leaving him the time and oppoirtunity to strike.

Hitler aside, in 1939 Germany had the most impressive military machine the world had ever seen. However, I don’t believe the GB cowered; if anything we took the fight to Germany. We (with the help of our allies) moved on from Dunkirk in May/June 1940 to engage the Axis in North Africa in September of the same year... at the same time as winning the “Battle of Britain”.

   Instead of celebrating the day we won the war, we should cry the day we let the war happen.

I’ve no idea what is happening in the USA, but in the UK we are having D-Day commemorations not celebrations. We will reflect on the deaths on both sides.

This is worth reading.

Scott A