 Off-Topic / Debate / 24184
Re: Not Saving Private Ryan.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 21:18:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:

   Unique Selling Point. I understand he ticks all the correct ethnic minority boxes in one swoop. This means there is no need for other minorities to have a token presence in a movie, thus allowing more room for white guys!

I think you need to make up your mind whether he is black or a “USP”,

How would 40’s America have viewed him. (A genuine question).

But an utterly non-relevant one! :-)

That depends on what relevance one attaches to the character’s name alone.

   which would imply you should have known to check the character’s name.

You mean like your name implies your Irishness? ;)

Don’t wanna admit that you identified the character as black incorrectly, eh? :-)

I’m happy to admit to not having watched the film enough to know the character’s name. I’m happy to admit to not knowing what typical African-American surnames are; are there even such names?

I knew fine what you meant. I’m often bemused by the inability of Americans to call themselves American; I recall that you are an Irish-American. ;) I expect it’s a cultural thing.

Idunno, my buddy simply refers to himself as Apache - identifying himself by a name inspired by an Italian mapmaker seems a bit Euro-centric to him.

Our names leave a cultural trail, along with perceptions and misperceptions, though I feel I should point out the irony that you are the one that used the phrase “Irish-American”, not me. :-)

Did I?

Right there earlier in the sequence quoted above!

I thought you were referring a thread at some point in the past. It is clear I mentioned it 1st in this thread and that you have called yourself part-irish in the past. I’m not sure what your point is? Have I offended you?

   I’ll take your word for it... you certainly have noted your Irishness a few times.

But never by the phrase “Irish-American”. And I believe I have merely noted my Irish forebears, not my “Irishness” (again, your phrase).

To be honest, I’m not sure what your point is?

   I’m not about to watch it again to find out; life is too short to watch that film again. ;)

I’m envious of your experience if you can recognize Miss Weisz solely by her naked backside! And Bob Hoskins and Ed Harris had good performances at least.

The only good thing about that film is the newsreel footage that comes as an “extra” on the DVD.;)

Scott A

-->Bruce<--