 Off-Topic / Debate / 24134
Re: Not Saving Private Ryan.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2004 22:57:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Thomas Stangl wrote:
   Those who have older relatives that were in WW2 have no problem respecting veterans. Unfortunately, the # of people with living WW2 vets is quickly decreasing.

Yes. Frankly, I am more than a little bitter that I was not taught this respect at an early age. Instead, I was schooled to despise the military. That is just not right.

   It doesn’t help that a lot of WW2 vets have never discussed their experiences in the Great War. My great-uncle refused to talk about it for more than 40 years.

The humility. The willingness to answer the call of duty. To serve knowing that death was a very real possiblity. It leaves one speechless. What a remarkable and selfless generation.

   Luckily, he an other members of his company finally wrote a book about their experiences, so they will not be lost.

And these books and experiences should be the first thing that current and future generations of young Americans read and hear and internalize.

Freedom most certainly isn’t free. This is the only thing I fear about the future fledgling Democracy of Iraq-- that they didn’t fully earn it themselves. But they have made sacrifices (the 1,000s of innocents killed), and I hope that they view those sacrifices as an inspiration to persevere and preserve Freedom and Democracy, rather than as an excuse to hate and blame.

JOHN