 Off-Topic / Debate / 24156
Re: Not Saving Private Ryan.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 30 May 2004 00:13:50 GMT

John wrote:

that they didn't fully earn it
themselves. But they have made sacrifices (the 1,000s of innocents killed),

They did not make sacrifices; they were "sacrificed".

Calloused and insensitive semantics.  Par for the course.

Actually, in this case, you're wrong and (shudder), Scott is right.

This is NOT semantics.

"Made sacrifices" pertains to the Iraqi people as a whole.  "Were sacrificed"
pertains to the ones actually killed.

HUGE difference, don't try to pave it over in your
rah-rah-Bush-can-do-no-wrong-in-Iraq-claptrap.

--
Tom Stangl
*http://www.vfaq.com/