 Off-Topic / Debate / 24175
Re: Not Saving Private Ryan.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 16:29:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:

   Also, in WW2, what would the chances of a black guy
   (Diesel) being in a frontline squad be? Were non-whites not relegated to logistics (as they could not be trusted to fight by those who knew best)? Either way SPR is not the history lesson some would suggest.

I think you are making some inaccurate assumptions about Vin Diesel’s ethnicity to refer to him simply as “black”.

Indeed, I understand that is his USP. Thankfully, I think SPR is the only one of his efforts I have encountered.

USP?

Unique Selling Point. I understand he ticks all the correct ethnic minority boxes in one swoop. This means there is no need for other minorities to have a token presence in a movie, thus allowing more room for white guys!

I think you need to make up your mind whether he is black or a “USP”, which would imply you should have known to check the character’s name. :-O

And clearly you haven’t seen his movies (which may be a blessing) in regards to the accusations about “more white guys”. :-)

   Anyway, the character he was playing was Italian (Pvt. Adrian Caparzo).

I was pretty sure he was an American? Can Mr Diesel do accents? Anyhow, are there no black Italians? ;)

I was trying not to be tedious and run through “American of Italian descent”

I knew fine what you meant. I’m often bemused by the inability of Americans to call themselves American; I recall that you are an Irish-American. ;) I expect it’s a cultural thing.

Idunno, my buddy simply refers to himself as Apache - identifying himself by a name inspired by an Italian mapmaker seems a bit Euro-centric to him.

Our names leave a cultural trail, along with perceptions and misperceptions, though I feel I should point out the irony that you are the one that used the phrase “Irish-American”, not me. :-)

BTW: This exchange reminds me of the scene in True Romance between Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken; perhaps that explains the Caparzo character. ;)

True Romance? Sounds like a chick flick...

   I can’t check IMDB at work, so I can’t check what you mean…

Use of a “body double”, or the production companies involved?

The former.

Can’t swear to it, but it seems extremely likely considering a face isn’t attached to the body in the scene. But I’m happy to pretend that I’m incorrect.

   I’m sure I’ve seen that movie, but I can’t remember a thing about it right now. Anyhow, you yanks deserve all you get on the topic of “breaking the sound barrier” as you stole that achievement from us using a plane that could not even take off! Cheats!

A brit breaks the sound barrier in the film by “reversing the controls”. No mention of Americans, much less Yeager. At least U571 referenced the real incidents (but U571 was the very movie I had in mind in regards to Brits should not trust their stories to Hollywood).

Was the black submarine pilot in U571 also an Italian-American. ;)

No, he was a Brit, don’t you know? :-)

-->Bruce<--