 Off-Topic / Debate / 24159
Re: Not Saving Private Ryan.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 30 May 2004 12:25:41 GMT

   HUGE difference, don’t try to pave it over in your rah-rah-Bush-can-do-no-wrong-in-Iraq-claptrap.

You know, pro-Bush folk would probably be a lot less “rah-rah” if the Left weren’t so virulently hateful of Bush as a person, much less as a politician.

Again, this isn’t new; it existed with Clinton, too, though the positions were often reversed, and I’d argue that there was much more “yeah, he’s a slimeball sex fiend” admission on the Left during the Lewinsky matter than there is acceptance that maybe Bush’s policy and personality are poorly suited for the most important job on Earth. Myself, I tend to think the problem is less Bush, and more those with whom he has surrounded himself; I’d be perfectly happy to see the neocon coterie given the boot. As it stands I’m halfway expecting to see terror threats used by that lot to stack the deck in the run-up to the election--or possibly worse, if they’re still polling behind. I don’t think I’m exaggerating to say that we’re potentially one major election impropriety away from armed insurrection.

But shouldn’t it say something to you if your boy’s support derives so much of its force from the fact that the other “side” (actually, most of the planet) dislikes him so much, and not because of any actual policy-related activity? That tends to indicate that the way to victory for this horrifically bad regime in November is simply to whip up blind hatred (sound like any other formulae for securing power you’re familiar with?). They’re doing a pretty good job, and they’re destroying any trace of civility in politics as a result. If Kerry loses in November, it’ll be because of that--the Rove War Machine is always willing to fight harder, nastier, and dirtier than its opponent. It certainly won’t be because of the facts, which all point to utterly failed policy and borderline criminal behavior by those around Bush.

But when the bulk of the planet finds Bush odious in his personal conduct, shouldn’t that suggest a bit of reflection is necessary? TAKE YOUR PARTY BACK, PLEASE. Barry Goldwater and even Richard Nixon are doubtless spinning in their graves.

all best

LFB