 Off-Topic / Debate / 24133
Re: Not Saving Private Ryan.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2004 22:24:46 GMT

Those who have older relatives that were in WW2 have no problem respecting
veterans.  Unfortunately, the # of people with {living} WW2 vets is quickly
decreasing.

It doesn't help that a lot of WW2 vets have never discussed their experiences in the
Great War.  My great-uncle refused to talk about it for more than 40 years.
Luckily, he an other members of his company finally wrote a book about their
experiences, so they will not be lost.

John wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
The Guardian has today published a number a letters written on and around
D-Day by those involved.

I haven't seen Private Ryan so I can't debate you on this one.  Is it
OK form in here to just say thanks for the interesting link?

I'm not exactly sure {why} SA titled his post the way he did, but I can say that
the beginning of that movie is the most powerful and moving bit of moviemaking I
have ever seen.  I found myself moved to tears; humbled; and felt such a sense
of awe and gratitude for what was sacrificed {for me}.  I would {strongly}
recommend you to see it-- {every} American should be required to see that movie
IMO, especially our teenagers.

[JOHN]

--
Tom Stangl