 Off-Topic / Debate / 24135
Re: Not Saving Private Ryan.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2004 23:04:38 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   The Guardian has today published a number a letters written on and around D-Day by those involved.

I haven’t seen Private Ryan so I can’t debate you on this one. Is it OK form in here to just say thanks for the interesting link?

I’m not exactly sure why SA titled his post the way he did, but I can say that the beginning of that movie is the most powerful and moving bit of moviemaking I have ever seen. I found myself moved to tears; humbled; and felt such a sense of awe and gratitude for what was sacrificed for me.

I think you mean the 2nd scene; the film starts in a cemetery... still a very moving scene. Once they break through the Atlantic Wall the film nosedives.

   I would strongly recommend you to see it-- every American should be required to see that movie IMO, especially our teenagers.

Saving Private Ryan is basically Holywood’s version of events; I’m not a big fan of Hollywood re-writing history. Soldiers from many nations took part (most notably USA, UK & Canada); indeed the whole thing could have failed if the Brits did not take and hold Pegasus Bridge in arguably the first action of D-Day. None of that even gets lip service in the film.

I would suggest “every American” read about and discover the story for themselves. Ambrose (who helped with SPR and wrote Band of Brothers) has a very accessible book on D-Day and an excellent book on Pegasus Bridge. Check them out!

Scott A