 Off-Topic / Debate / 24094
24093  |  24095
Subject:
Not Saving Private Ryan.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2004 14:04:04 GMT

The Guardian has today published a number a letters written on and around D-Day by those involved. They are mostly from the UK nationals, but also from some the USA, France & Germany

This paragraph stood out as it sums up the popular perception of what D-Day was:

Lieutenant H T Bone of the 2nd Battalion, East Yorkshire Regiment, to his mother: As we staggered ashore, we dispersed and lay down above the water’s edge. Stuff was falling pretty close to us and although I did not see it happen, quite a number of the people from my own boat were hit. Instinctively, where we lay we hacked holes with our shovels. I began to recognise wounded men of the assault companies. Some were dead, others struggling to crawl out of the water because the tide was rising very rapidly. We could not help them since our job was to push on, but I saw one of my signal corporals with a wound in his leg and I took his codes with me promising to send a man back for his set before he was evacuated.

Josef B German staff sergeant: Now finally the hour has come. How did you react to the news about the invasion? Although it had to happen and was foreseeable, it impressed me a lot. Of course it is not a trifle. For sure these hours the hugest battle is taking place that the world has ever seen. Hopefully fortune is with us now. Now history is being made.

As a self confessed coward, I found it quite inspiring reading them. A selection are online.

Scott A