 Off-Topic / Debate / 24180
Re: Not Saving Private Ryan.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 20:20:10 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   The Guardian has today published a number a letters written on and around D-Day by those involved.

I haven’t seen Private Ryan so I can’t debate you on this one. Is it OK form in here to just say thanks for the interesting link?

I’m not exactly sure why SA titled his post the way he did, but I can say that the beginning of that movie is the most powerful and moving bit of moviemaking I have ever seen. I found myself moved to tears; humbled; and felt such a sense of awe and gratitude for what was sacrificed for me. I would strongly recommend you to see it-- every American should be required to see that movie IMO, especially our teenagers.

Not sure if this is fitting in .debate, but I have a cool story on this subject:

I worked in a hobby store for a few years in the late 90’s, and we sold a fair range of plastic military models and detailing handbooks. There were a few middle-aged men who would spend many dozens of hours on highly detailed dioramas, and they were always fun to talk to because they knew the best information sources. But even cooler were the old guys who liked to look at WWII-era models because those were the vehicles they drove (or flew). One guy in particular came in looking for a particular B-17 kit. We had a few in stock, but not the one he was looking for. I offered to order it, but he was only in town for his grand-daughter’s graduation.

He was looking for A Bit-O-Lace, a B-17G that he flew during the war and which was later reproduced in model and die-cast metal form. He learned of the model’s existence at an Air Force museum that had an exhibit about the plane, including a life-sized picture of the crew. A museum employee noticed his interest in the picture and asked if he knew any of the guys in the photo. He pointed to the pilot and said, “That’s me.”

I thought it was pretty cool that his actual plane had been modelled, but he joked that he didn’t think the model’s pilot figure was a good likeness.

Dave!