 Off-Topic / Debate / 24163
Re: Not Saving Private Ryan.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 31 May 2004 15:17:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
HUGE difference, don't try to pave it over in your
rah-rah-Bush-can-do-no-wrong-in-Iraq-claptrap.

I managed to catch the start of a dedication ceremony for your WW2 war memorial
on Saturday evening. The whoops which greeted Bush, on what I expected to be a
reflective event, forced me to switch channel... It may be a cultural thing, but
I can’t imagine a crowd greeting the Queen or Tony B.Liar in such a way at such
a ceremony.

Q. Why has it taken so long for this memorial be dedicated?

Scott A

The folks that 'whooped it up' should be ashamed of themselves.  I read it as
'scoring political points' by showing avid support for Dubya, instead of being,
as Scott said, 'reflective', with thoughts of the past and those that sacrificed
themselves so that we may live in freedom.

I remember way back in grade two during our little school's Rememberance Day
service, being told that even clapping was 'verbotten' (frowned upon) because
it's akin to rejoicing that they're dead.

WW2 memorials are not a time for celebration or whooping it up, they're a time
to try to grasp what our fathers and grandfathers did for us so that we may have
the life we have.

I won't blame Dubya for this, but he should have said or shown in some fashion
that he disapproved of that reaction.

Then again, a man who hasn't had to sacrifice anything, a man who has been given
everything, doesn't really understand sacrifice.

But that's just me.

Dave K