 Off-Topic / Debate / 24178
Re: Not Saving Private Ryan.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 17:19:21 GMT

   Unique Selling Point. I understand he ticks all the correct ethnic minority boxes in one swoop. This means there is no need for other minorities to have a token presence in a movie, thus allowing more room for white guys!

I think you need to make up your mind whether he is black or a “USP”,

How would 40’s America have viewed him. (A genuine question).

   which would imply you should have known to check the character’s name.

You mean like your name implies your Irishness? ;)

I knew fine what you meant. I’m often bemused by the inability of Americans to call themselves American; I recall that you are an Irish-American. ;) I expect it’s a cultural thing.

Idunno, my buddy simply refers to himself as Apache - identifying himself by a name inspired by an Italian mapmaker seems a bit Euro-centric to him.

Our names leave a cultural trail, along with perceptions and misperceptions, though I feel I should point out the irony that you are the one that used the phrase “Irish-American”, not me. :-)

Did I? I’ll take your word for it... you certainly have noted your Irishness a few times.

   I can’t check IMDB at work, so I can’t check what you mean…

Use of a “body double”, or the production companies involved?

The former.

Can’t swear to it, but it seems extremely likely considering a face isn’t attached to the body in the scene. But I’m happy to pretend that I’m incorrect.

I’m not about to watch it again to find out; life is too short to watch that film again. ;)

Scott A