 Off-Topic / Debate / 24200
Re: Not Saving Private Ryan.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 04:18:33 GMT

Actually, Scott's got you, Bruce:

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=9476

"  (This mindset was
   >      originally more than just language--the Commonwealth as
   >      it exists today was in fact less ambitious than the original
   >      schemes for Imperial Federation, which could not guarantee
   >      that Britain would remain at its head without making this
   >      point statuatory or based on the nebulous concept of race--
   >      which would have destroyed it.  Imperial Defence schemes
   >      had the same basic failings until the really populous chunks
   >      like India and South Africa were out of the picture after
   >      1947/8.)  In this category of ungrateful, petulant children,
   >      who can possibly out-do the original Rebels, the United
   >      States?

   Kicked their candy-(dang, can't complete that here on lugnet) out!  No
   taxation without representation!  I'm half Irish anyway."

But yeah, you're right, in that half-Irish doesn't automatically mean
Irish-American.

Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

Search for "<http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?q=bruce+half+irish
bruce half irish>". It is not the phrase i place in quotes, but you do say
you are half Irish!

Not another word safari!  If you have an exact cut and paste quote, I can figure
it out. I'm 1/4 Irish.  The most I can figure is that I was sloppy and said
something about the Irish "half" of the family because I only deal with the
German and Irish sides, and never the Norwegian or Dutch.

But that's not saying I'm "Irish-American" in any case.  :-)

--
Tom Stangl
Welsh-Russian-German-{who-knows-what-else}-Murican