 Off-Topic / Debate / 24230
Re: Question for the Conservatives out there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:27:30 GMT

Why is this a question for the conservatives?

Because I already know the answer that *sane* people would give.  8^)

   Now that's a bit uncalled for.  If someone is an *actual* conservative,
   and I do know quite a few of them--intelligent ones, too--they're just
   as outraged over the bloat and entanglement of our present government.
   This is why I raise the cry for real Republican conservatives to TAKE
   BACK YOUR PARTY!

   This quasi-fascist nationalist movement deigning itself "patriotic"
   that suggests the security state is superior to a free one (and is
   thus REALLY more free) and that one must bloat the government to keep
   us safe as well as alienate our allies if they differ with our caprice?
   No, that's not conservative; "neocon" maybe but NOT conservative.
   I'll grant that a lot of people calling themselves "conservative" do
   have their pet moral or political cases where they may think that
   government has a right or duty to intervene, but to support the huge
   delusion this government has been drawing the stay-at-home USA into
   (because, believe me, the planet looks very different from out here;
   it's like going to Bizarro World whenever I'm home) requires a lot
   of very, very grainy salt.

   The real dopes in this situation, to me, are those who don't question,
   or impugn those who do with crazy generalizations ("Oh no!   You don't
   support the war in Iraq, so you support *TERRORISM!*" etc etc).  I may
   have differences with the Buckleys and George Wills of the world but
   I at least respect their independence in thought--because sometimes
   they do disagree with those who would speak in their name.

   I tend to think, though, that a postponement or cancellation of the
   election would send the fringies--right *and* left--into armed revolt,
   a cycle which would lead to martial law very quickly.  And while I
   think that is a step that a few of the less savory of the neocon
   coterie might consider, I don't think Bush himself would ever stamp
   approval on such a move--and certainly Powell would not, and you
   could expect him to speak out.

   The thing I'm more concerned about is the prospect of tampering with
   the electronic vote by "officials" or, alternately, the accusation
   by officials of tampering by one or another side, which would instantly
   throw the entire process into chaos.  Mark my words, that is what will
   happen here--or try to--the election will go on as scheduled, only to
   be plagued with "irregularities" that may be real, or may be a tactic.
   Only the accusers will know for sure.  (Note that I have made no note
   above as to which side is which; the stakes are high enough that
   *everyone* can be suspect.)

   all best

   LFB