 Off-Topic / Debate / 24214
Re: Question for the Conservatives out there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 21:11:10 GMT

Why is this a question for the conservatives?

Because I already know the answer that *sane* people would give.  8^)

Here's a hypothetical:

Let's suppose a major event occurs between now and November 2, something on the
order of 9/11.  Now let's suppose that Dubya's administration either postpones
or cancels the Presidential election in the wake of the disaster, citing the
need for consistent leadership and contiuity of policy, both of which would be
compromised by a change of President.

That's not what the constitution provides for. An event on the order of 9/11
(without minimising how horrific it was) is enough to justify closing stock
markets, perhaps, but not enough to justify changing the election date, which is
constitutionally fixed.

I accept this in principle, but my question is more along the lines of Would
Dubya Try It?  And if so, what then?

How would you Conservatives react to this?  Would you be relieved, since it
would mean an automatic extension of Dubya's reign (and near carte blanche to do
whatever he wants with the Executive and Judicial branches)?  Or would you cry
foul, since it would amount to a declaration of dictatorship?

Is this a trick question? It is so obviously a third world style dictatorship
imposition that I'm sort of wondering why this is directed to conservatives! If
this hypothetical came up while Kerry was president, would you ask it of
"liberals" only?

Sure, if we were looking at Kerry's bid for re-election in the coming months,
and if Kerry's first term had been inaugurated under the most dubious of
circumstances.  But Dubya is the president we have, so I asked the question of
his nominal supporters.  If Dubya were again shoehorned into office through
murky means, then Conservatives would presumably be content with his
re-election, wherease non-Conservatives would not be so happy about it.

So the ur-question is directed at Conservatives who, under normal circumstances,
would presumably be gratified to have him in office for another term; I wondered
if they would be similarly gratified if he took advantage of shady circumstances
to ensure that second term.

This is hypothetical, of course, but it's hardly impossible.  Tommy Franks has
stated on-record that a WMD terrorist attack might justify the abandonment of
the Constitution in favor of military rule.

Why hasn't this been better publicised? That statement alone is justification
for voting the entire pack of them out.

I agree.  Franks made the comment in an interview for Cigar Afficianado.
Unfortunately, I can't find the article itself online, but references to it are
easy to locate.  I'll see if I can find a better source.

Dave!