 Off-Topic / Debate / 14788
14787  |  14789
Subject:
Medical Marijuana
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 15:02:50 GMT

There is substantial evidence that marijuana has significant medical uses.
Several states have recognised this and authorised doctors to prescribe it
(for uses such as an anti nausea drug for chemotherapy and AIDS patience)
and have authorised the creation of mechanisms to dispense it.

Yet the federal government has held this not to be the case and has usurped
state power of self determination thanks to an irrational fear of marijuana
by some. (or perhaps a desire to retain bureaucratic empire...)

This website highlights a recent DEA raid on a distribution organization.
http://www.mpp.org/states/site/index.cgi?state=USA Knowing that no
California jury would convict, no arrests were made. ALL that was done was
that every single material good of this organization was confiscated,
putting them out of business.

At a time when our law enforcement efforts ought to be concentrated on
important things, the DEA still has time to harrass cancer and AIDS
sufferers, and the federal government still has time to organize state
police to carry out roadblocks to enforce seat belt laws!

Some lawmakers are aware of this injustice and have sponsored bills to
redress it. http://www.mpp.org/mmj_support.html  To the eternal shame of the
republican party, all of these lawmakers are democrats or independents.
Except one, of course. That sole courageous "republican" lawmaker happens to
be an MD and happens to be from Texas. I'm sure you can guess who I refer to.

But that's not the point of this post. The *point* is to suggest that if you
feel as I and the majority of americans (around 70-75%) do, that you visit
the http://www.mpp.org/mmj_support.html link and generate a letter to your
representative. Note that if you don't unclick the "send me periodic info"
you will be put on an email mailing list so do be aware of that.

If on the other hand you feel medical marijuana is a bad thing (and you're
thus in the 25% or so percent of the people that do feel that way, according
to some polls), why then, you ought to send your rep a letter saying so, but
you're on your own as to how to go about doing that. :-)

Non US people can ignore this request, of course.