 Off-Topic / Debate / 14838
Re: Medical Marijuana
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 17:41:12 GMT

"Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> wrote in message news:Gn994v.CIp@lugnet.com...
I'm all for effective cannabis-based prescription drugs. But then
many illegal drugs have a place in medicine. What is the big deal?

The US government does not agree and feels that it has the right to decide
on a national level, even against the wishes of individual states. That's a
violation of the US constitution.

   Why doesn't the Gov't legalize marijuana (et al) and simply tax it
exorbitantly, like 80,000%, or something?  I mean, the government *does*
have the power to levy taxes, and that would seem to accomplish nominally
the same thing.

Because taxing it at 80,000% would simply continue the demand for illegal, untaxed product

lawrence