 Off-Topic / Debate / 14827
Re: Medical Marijuana
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 17:25:35 GMT

Replace marijuana with heroin and you have a successfully conceived
scenario. I am not saying that this is the truth, I am saying it's a
plausible reason for much of what we have seen of late. It could, of course,
be totally false.

No, it's too plausible not to be true. The government thinks heroin is some
big bad thing (it is) that we need to be protected from because we're too
stupid (we're not)... so we have wild gyrations in the street price as we
either bribe the Taliban to bottle supply, or don't (and the Taliban floods
the market to raise some cash by not clamping down as tightly on the warlords).

No, our intertwine with the drug trade is long and sickening. Make money to
finance covert ops, then use that money (or money like it) to shoot down
missionaries that happen to be in the wrong place in the wrong time. Ad
nauseum. Drugs corrupt. Legalising them reduces corrupting influence. But
I'm not making that argument here and now (it's been made before), I'm just
arguing that voter rights (in voting in laws in states) and states rights
(in acceding to the will of the people) are being trampled by the DEA and
others.

As usual. No big c Conspiracy, just the usual empire building (that some
decry as paranoia) but which is all too real. Governments accrete. Just the
way it is.