 Off-Topic / Debate / 14824
14823  |  14825
Subject:
Did governments create the drug problem instead of prevent one? was Medical Marijuana
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 16:17:14 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:Gn7J4q.Mt1@lugnet.com...
There is substantial evidence that marijuana has significant medical uses.
Several states have recognised this and authorised doctors to prescribe it
(for uses such as an anti nausea drug for chemotherapy and AIDS patience)
and have authorised the creation of mechanisms to dispense it.

Yet the federal government has held this not to be the case and has usurped
state power of self determination thanks to an irrational fear of marijuana
by some. (or perhaps a desire to retain bureaucratic empire...)

There is a new book published this week
Richard Davenport-Hines -  ''Pursuit of Oblivion: A Narcotic History of the World, 1500-2000.''

I haven't read the book but I listened yesterday to an interview  with the author and Professor Geoffrey Pearson
(Goldsmiths College (University of London) and Editor of the British Journal of Criminology) on the theme "How have
Government policies around the world shaped our attitudes towards drugs and drug-takers?" on BBC R4.

You might still catch it at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/progs/audio/ram_thinkingallowed.ram
I dont know how long these stay around
Jump to around 15 minutes into the program

Drugs trade is $400billion or 8% of international trade - equivalent to the Oil or tourism industry

Pretty much blames US Government actions  for creating a problem where none existed before

Also interesting they the seem to think much of the US actions are racially motivated.

lawrence