 Off-Topic / Debate / 14845
Re: Medical Marijuana
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 19:04:59 GMT

Why are "states" preferable to a single state? <snip> Is there a
benefit to preventing a one-world community?

Yes, there is a benefit.  One leadership at that scale cannot see the trees
for the forest -- only the big problems could be dealt with, and not the
smaller local ones.

It is my assertion that I have no idea from here in CA what would suit the
people of Maine best, and the reverse is also asserted by me -- that the
people of Maine have no idea what's best for us here in CA.

Scale matters -- the bigger things get the more susceptible they become to
corruption and collapse.  Mother nature does not make a single being, she
makes millions of them in the hopes that some survive.  A single govt. could
collapse fairly easily for all kinds of reasons -- if it is constituted of
smaller units internally, you'd have to knock out each of the smaller units
to get at the whole.

Small is good. Humans more easily understand that which is before them, and
tend not to grasp so easily that which is theoretical.  I can grasp the
concept of a room filled with a thousand people (indeed it is possible to
actually see such a room in the flesh), I start to get foggy when you tell
me that there are 250 million people in the room instead (and no real world
examples are available for viewing).

-- Hop-Frog (Fast Answers Done Dirt-Cheap)