 Off-Topic / Debate / 14791
Re: Medical Marijuana
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 16:06:44 GMT

"Lawrence Wilkes" <lawrence@thewilkesfamily.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:Gn7L6H.412@lugnet.com...

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:Gn7J4q.Mt1@lugnet.com...
There is substantial evidence that marijuana has significant medical uses.
Several states have recognised this and authorised doctors to prescribe it
(for uses such as an anti nausea drug for chemotherapy and AIDS patience)
and have authorised the creation of mechanisms to dispense it.

Yet the federal government has held this not to be the case and has usurped
state power of self determination thanks to an irrational fear of marijuana
by some. (or perhaps a desire to retain bureaucratic empire...)

The UK is apparently going to licence the use of Medical Marijuana

Also, it has been reclassified so they the police can effectively ignore possession

http://www.guardian.co.uk/drugs/Story/0,2763,580507,00.html

What amused me was that a recent opinion poll showed that middle aged professionals and executives were the group most
in favour!

And if you are looking for consipacy stories Larry, we could ponder on the fact that only earlier this year the
government refused to do this - as they have done for decades, then suddenly we have the Afgan situation.
And where does a lot of the marijuna come from......
I reckon they did a deal with the normal alliance - 'look we will increase the market for your crops, providing you
greater income without it looking like aid. You just help us get rid of bin laden, etc'

lawrence