 Off-Topic / Debate / 14847
Re: Medical Marijuana
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 19:10:16 GMT

And I take my read on what's constitutional from what the founding fathers
*intended*, not from what the current supreme court says about the matter.
As I've said before, many times, effectively answering the question posed.

  Yeah, but...
  Doesn't the Constitution also expressly empower the judicial system to
interpret the law as it applies case-by-case?  That seems a fairly clear
indication that the founding fathers "intended" to have the justices making
the exact decisions that some of us say they shouldn't.

As an example of this stance, I offer the view that the income tax is
"unconstitutional"... proven by the fact that a constitutional amendment was
required to get it to be so.

  But are you saying that "constitutional" applies only to that which was
penned by the original authors?  That's a more stringent definition than
they themselves intended, I think.  Otherwise, the legislature wouldn't be
empowered to draft amendments.  I guess I just don't see the merit in
requiring a 200+ year old document (designed to be adaptable) to be relevant
to changing times if changes to that document are held to be unconstitutional.

     Dave!