 Off-Topic / Debate / 14828
Re: Medical Marijuana
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 17:27:40 GMT

I think the argument being put forth is that 80,000% is so high as to not
make it profitable or even feasible to actually carry out commerce. So I'm
not sure your pros and cons apply.

  Yeah, I was trying to formulate a scenario in which the gov't could
"allow" marijuana (or the like) but might place some dollar restriction on
sales to make the legal purchase undesirable to the consumer.  Not sure if
it would work, except in theory.

Note that at least one state in the past supposedly required you to purchase
revenue stamps for each (mumblequantity) of pot you sold. So if busted you
first got fined for not having paid the tax and then sentenced for sale of
something illegal. Not sure if that law is still in effect or not, it's of
dubious constitutionality. Can't remember the state, it's been a while since
last I read High Times.

  I remember reading about that.  When the measure was questioned, one of
the proponents pointed out that Capone was caught for tax evasion...

     Dave!