 Off-Topic / Debate / 14829
Re: Medical Marijuana
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 17:35:47 GMT

  Why doesn't the Gov't legalize marijuana (et al) and simply tax it
exorbitantly, like 80,000%, or something?  I mean, the government *does*
have the power to levy taxes, and that would seem to accomplish nominally
the same thing.

I think the argument being put forth is that 80,000% is so high as to not
make it profitable or even feasible to actually carry out commerce. So I'm
not sure your pros and cons apply.

Ah, so as to make it so ridiculous in cost that nobody would buy it and thus
essentially stop drug use? I spose. In any event, I think the pros and cons
still apply as to why not legalize it-- just perhaps not for the supposed plan.

As for the practicality of making it 80,000% taxed (or what the heck, if
that's the intent, go for a clean million% taxed), I think that wouldn't
change much. At least-- it wouldn't make things better-- it would make
things arguably worse. Drug lords already are good at smuggling drugs in
illegally. And if paying the tax would no longer turn them a profit, why do
it? Why not just keep smuggling it in unbeknownst to the government and
avoid paying the tax? The only thing that would change would be less
crackdown on marijuana posession as a crime, and focus more on its
trafficing. IE, more cost, less benefit.

DaveE