 Off-Topic / Debate / 14841
Re: Medical Marijuana
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 18:40:35 GMT

But does your constitution not give you supreme court the right to do “all
kinds of crazy things” with your rights?

There is a FLEXIBILITY built into the system. Sometimes it's a good thing in
my view, sometimes it's a bad thing.  My argument is less with the govt.
system than the people of this country -- they often seem not to care about
politics, and when they do care, it is often for the wrong reason and with
very little information supporting their views.  The puritan origins of this
country makes everything an uphill battle which just gets to be boring after
a while -- and, of course, little is accomplished.

The Constitution is a very good compromise document.  It is not perfect,
although I think it comes closer to perfection for me than anything else I
have seen. Sadly, this is not enough.  You have to have an interested
citizenry, or you have nothing to actually protect you from govt. abuses.

Flexibility is not a bad thing, unless the population at large is an
ignorant, contented, consumption obsessed species. Which it is.

-- Hop-Frog