 Marketplace / Theory / 1630
Re: BAYLIT - Brickbay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 02:20:16 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Dan Jezek writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Larry Pieniazek writes:
...reputable sellers are above such folderol.

Oh - good word.  See - my dictionary works.  ;-)

I'm also thinking of doing a Spotlight on a shop on the front page:
The shop that would be currently in the spotlight would be the one
that last received an order and would stay in the spotlight until
an order is submitted to another shop which would then become the
spotlight shop.  Don't know if anyone would have a problem with
that since receiving orders is kinda private.

First, IMO the way you've grouped shops by country is a great
"solution" to this naming "issue".  Like other's have said, the
name doesn't really matter, so long as you keep it logical and
consistent.  (The char. tricks actually make me hesitant to shop
there - the opposite of the desired effect.)  The country the shop
is in matter's greatly to those of us outside the U.S. of A.  Now
I can check the shop's of my fellow Canadians without having to
check through each one to find out where they are - a big plus.

I don't think anyone would object to the spotlight.  It's not like
you're going to say what was bought and by whom, right?  You're
the "LEGO mall" as it were, so the mall merchants should appreciate
any publicity initiative you undertake.  I'm only 1% of the merchants,
but I think the majority would agree with me.

Going back to the BAYLIT case, I see it as a potential problem
in the future where others might follow BAYLIT's example.

If Jon would take Larry's suggestion, (and offered a good selection
at comparable prices, rather than just a lead-in page to his site)
I wouldn't have a problem with it.  If a future (or current) "tenant"
becomes a flagrant violator of the intent of BrickBay, and refuses to
make reasonable change(s) then - and I say this as both a buyer and
seller - delete their shop.  It's the same principal as the obnoxious
renter in your apartment tower who smokes in common areas and has a
noisy party going on after 23:00.  When they refuse to "shape up" and
you throw them out on the street, the rest the building applauds.

SRC
(Who's a bit embarrassed that 2/3 of the remaining name "problems"
are Canadians, but loves Newfoundbrick's newfie sense of humour.)