 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 8187
Re: BAYLIT - Brickbay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 18:36:59 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Tom Fought writes:
I am replying in general to this thread... which IMHO is a complete waste
of time and bandwidth.

Maybe. Maybe not. Dan J. has in the past implemented suggestions that people
made here and elsewhere (I won't go into how many and whose, not productive,
but I do know some of my previous ones have made it...)

Dan has provided a wonderful service.
I think whatever rules he decides to implement are fine.

A great general principle. Applies to every service. Conversely, though, input
on rules and how they are likely to be regarded by users is useful. We do a
lot of that sort of discussing about Lugnet rules here too. But the final
decision is, and should be, the owner, the guy who put up the money to make it
happen. That's Dan. (the man... in my book anyway)

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to (and I am reaching here.. I know)...
understand that people most likely SEARCH for parts before hitting any
particular store "just because they have a lot of parts". Part count
ain't it folks... its whats on my wanted list... and I can tell
you most of the sites with "lots of parts" dont have what I want.

Very possibly I am in the minority because I don't shop that way at all.. more
later on.

If you dont like how the mall operator runs the business... well...

Excellent advice indeed. Which I've repeatedly said w.r.t. LUGNET. But again,
input is good.

It would be interesting if Dan could somehow generate a study about
the usage of Brickbay... how people typically traverse the site...
but I would consider it a waste of time.

I think it might give Dan valuable info on how to optimise and what to do
next. Studies like this are invaluable in my line of work.

My guess is people do 3 things..
1. Check the lots posted today list.
2. Check their wanted lists
3. Maybe.. search for parts that they just realized they need...
  (but a savvy user of Brickbay will simply add parts to their
   wanted list to make life easier)
  hmm... that just made me think... wouldn't it be nice if we
  could store "project want lists" on brickbay? :)

3. is a good idea extending regular wanted lists.

My usage is different than yours. I hit stores that I know have large
quantities and good prices and buy stuff that I might need in future. I only
rarely use the searchlist. My wanted list is out of date and i need to update
it but maybe it needs a minimum quantity. I could care less that someone has
one of a part, I usually need 20 of the same part before it makes sense to buy.

Everything I suggested would be of use to me.

Again, my usage is different than yours and atypical. But then I generate a
lot of commissions for Dan via my purchases (at 2% of the sale price I've
generated over 60 USD in buy side commissions and 10 in sell side for Dan so
far) compared to others, I suspect, so maybe my voice matters more, or maybe
it doesn't...

Oh well.. enough of this.
No flame intended.

None taken, you raise valid points.