 Marketplace / Theory / 1859
Re: Feeback - how worthwhile is it?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 00:19:51 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Frank Filz writes:

Are you talking about feedback in general, or just feedback from a
sellers perspective on Brickbay (as your responses seem to suggest)? My
perspective is as a buyer, who plans to sell at some point.

I was mainly thinking about feedback ON Brickbay, but not so much from
either one perspective or another when it comes to buying or selling.  I do
take your point about sellers having to worry less, though.

Oddly enough I was just browsing through messages about feedback and
reputation while thinking about what I've seen on Brickbay and I wanted to
see what people think.  Looks like I'm hanging off a previous thread though,
which is weird, but I guess that's what I get for just hitting reply once I
found an interesting post - although I had no intention of carrying on what
looked like a huge thread.  (Aside - I get in trouble doing this in email
because I never use an address book, I always just find a message from
someone and reply <g>)

So I guess what I'm wondering is - what do people do when they see a number
next to someone's name?  If it is high (say above 50) do they automatically
assume "ah, trustworthy person" without reviewing it?

On eBay, I always look at feedback before bidding. If the number is
high, and they have no negatives, I just read the first page, and then
spot check a few other pages to get a feel for satisfaction. If I see
negatives comments, I try and read them all, but usually end up bidding
(many times someone with a high feedback will have a few times when a
transaction went bad, and it's often easy to see how the buyer got upset
over nothing - or just wanted to be a jerk). As a seller, I would tend

Yeah, I don't have too much eBay experience, but I see what you mean.  And I
certainly know that a random deal or mistake can put a black mark on your
feedback (I have a grey one on mine at Brickbay because of a mistake I made
- oh well).  You have to try to take things in context.

If it is low (say below 5) do they assume anything?  Do they always go read
it, thinking maybe the person has to be new, at least to that system?

As a buyer, I usually don't bid on eBay if the feedback is this low,
though occasionally I will give the person the benefit of the doubt
(especially if those few feed backs have an instance of selling amongst
them). As a seller, I wouldn't tend to worry much. I just don't have
that much to lose.

Yeah, I so rarely buy things (and then usually from regulars) that I don't
deal with this much.  Maybe it's silly of me but I guess I just assume a
more general level of honest at Brickbay than at eBay, though.

Who knows what it means. It certainly does sound suspicious, and I guess
I'd be a little wary of someone who would do that, though they could be
someone who has done a lot of eBay buying and ran into sellers who gave
them hassle until they built up a good rating.

I guess that could be one way of looking at it - building it up to build up
a rep as a trustworthy person, just extra fast.