 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 8182
Re: BAYLIT - Brickbay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 17:33:50 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Jon Kozan writes:
Ok, this should be interesting...

And I think it is still interesting. After all, the marketplace of ideas can
make us all better off...

I'm replying to my own post to summarize the current state. And lend my own
opinion.

First let me publicly congratulate Dan on Brickbay.
It's a outstanding programming effort at face value, but, more than that, a
outstanding tool for solving a complex problem in a complicated widely
distributed community of low-value sales.  It truly is a step in the same vein
as LUGNET itself -- a community service. (although he does charge fees)

Second, shop names, since I've been chastised for merely doing what others have
already done. The name is not nearly as important as the merchandise. (The
quatloos post had me in hysterics - but his points are excellent).

Why bother with a list of the shop names at all?
More important information includes:
1) Where are they located?
2) Are they selling what I need?
3) Are they reputable?

None of us (I don't think) shops at a store simply based on it's name.
We go where we find the products we want.
The search engine for parts / sets is far more important than the shop listing.
The number of parts / sets in stock even doesn't even matter. There are already
abusers of this concept, listing 100 sets they certainly don't probably have on
hand, at ridiculous prices.
Why not have the opening page contain the search engine, and a shop search by
country, transactions, and feedback.

This will admittedly reduce the identity/branding that the shop list provides,
but satisfied customers are probably more important than a shop name.

Third, linking to my BAYLIT site. Someone said that I was "coat-tailing".
That, I would call "name-calling", which is always an attempt to over-simplify
a complex situation through the use of a mild slander.  Ok, I had stated I
didn't need Brickbay, and I still don't, but there seemed to be a desire for a
certain synergy between the 2 sites, so I created it the easiest way I
could, via a link.
Dan is certainly capable of disallowing this too, but other shops already link
to other web pages and sites, so I can't see how this is some sort of community
violation.  Unless someone just wants to single me out.

Finally: As far my shop name is concerned. Dan has a shop name approval
process.  I had to wait a long time to get approval, and I believed he probably
had to personally approve my shop, so I can't believe he could blame me for
getting his approval of my shop name (If he didn't, who's really to blame?)  I
actually wanted to change my shop name last night, but I was mysteriously
locked out of being able to do that, after I had loaded inventory (a program
bug?)

So, Dan had asked for Brickbay feedback, so maybe this will help.

Regards,
-Jon