 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 8190
Re: BAYLIT - Brickbay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 20:01:36 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Jon Kozan writes:

Third, linking to my BAYLIT site. Someone said that I was "coat-tailing".
That, I would call "name-calling", which is always an attempt to
over-simplify
a complex situation through the use of a mild slander.

Nonsense.  *Sometimes* it is,  but naming is a basic feature of language:  it
doesn't over-simplify the situation to say that Sirhan Sirhan "murdered" Bobby
Kennedy,  even though the mere naming of the act leaves out the complex issues
of motivation,  possible conspiracies,  etc.

Dan is certainly capable of disallowing this too, but other shops already
link
to other web pages and sites, so I can't see how this is some sort of
community
violation.  Unless someone just wants to single me out.

First,  you're not being "singled out".  See:

   http://news.lugnet.com/market/buy-sell-trade/?n=7099

The "community" of buyers and sellers on Brickbay has a clear understanding of
its intent,  purpose,  and value.  Dan may,  or may not,  have a
court-enforceable TOS that precludes linking to "off-site shops",  but that's
irrelevant.  What ultimately counts is the perception that buyers and sellers
have of one another.

Opening a bogus shop on Brickbay made you look bad.  Your lame defense of it
is making you look worse.

You've put a lot of work into Baylit,  and offered a valuable service that's
often under-appreciated (How many of the people who complain about Jon's
prices have really spent some time figuring out what it takes to build that
kind of inventory,  and fill orders for 2 or 3 each of 75 different 10-cent
parts?).  I can appreciate that it sucks to find that Brickbay has made it
possible for amateurs and dabblers to take a bite out of your business.  And I
know it's not going to be easy to figure out how to adapt baylit to the change
in the marketplace.

But this is a poor response to that change,  that's squandering the goodwill
that you've worked so hard to build up.  As a satisfied customer of both
baylit and many brickbay sellers,  I strongly encourage you to close up shop
on brickbay,  before any more damage is done.

Ran