 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 8169
Re: Shop Names (Was: Re: BAYLIT - Brickbay)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 12:14:21 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Dan Jezek writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Tom Heidemann writes:
Hey... how about listing the brickbay sites by number of parts?  The more you
post, the higher on the list you are!  That way we can avoid anyone
opening "AAA Lego Sales".

I thought about that and about showing shops with 10K+ parts in bold but then
shops also have sets in them so it would have to be a combination of how many
parts and how many sets one has in their shop.  How would you determine how
many parts equal 1 set?  Not by the number of parts in the set because the set
is sold as a whole.

IMHO You can't compare the value of sets with bricks. Is a shop that has 10K
of bricks better than a shop that has one Metroliner and a Guarded Inn for
sale? Is the shop with one 4558 better than a shop that sells 10 small sets? I
would like to buy a 4558 cheap - I'm a trainfan - for a castlefan this set
might not have that much value so with sets it's based on what theme people
like.
The value of bricks is not linked to a theme so those are better comparable.

A ranking based on amount of parts available would be okay, however I would
think that a ranking based on unique lots could be better. When I'm shopping I
see many shops that have a few types of bricks of my interest, I'll end up
shopping at the shop that has the largest selection of those parts that I like.
So I figured that a ranking based on unique lots would be better.

Keep in mind that when introducing a list based on ranks, shops on top of the
list will probably get more customers - a high rank tends to create a 'higher
= better' mindsetting. So in the end an alphabetical list is the most fair...
(BTW. I agree on using only alpha characters)

I'd like to add a 'personal preference' - allow the user to select 2 or 3
themes and give shops with those items a higher ranking on the list, or if the
ranking of shops isn't used: a shop that sells sets in the preferred theme a
little icon might appear behind the shop name.
I also like the 'ships international' icon, I would also like to see the
country in the list - it's cheaper for me to buy sets in European countries :-)

I'm going to put in code that will not let you pick a shop name with anything
else than alpha characters excluding shop names with the first and second
character being "A"

Good idea :-)

--
Frank Buiting