 Marketplace / Theory / 1611
Re: BAYLIT - Brickbay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 13:00:34 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Jon Kozan writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Ran Talbott writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Jon Kozan writes:

So, no, I didn't get these from Mickey. (But if you've noticed the
large Mickey set - it has the old-style lamp-posts!)

Yes, fabuland fans everywhere including my daughter Taya are rejoicing at the
Mickey line...

FWIW, I drove to ZB yesterday specifically to take a close look at Mickey's
little Fire Engine. And the part it uses is indeed an old part, but a Basic
version with an ugly Basic base.

The ladders I've listed on Brickbay are NOT the parts from Mickey's Fire
Engine… (I suppose I should not have to make this discovery myself, but there
are those who would flame me with no knowledge themselves, forcing me to
defend myself. )

Actually, the buyers are always expanding as new kids are introduced to
LEGO,and as more people find their love of LEGO on-line.  The pie is not
fixed, and I have not seen a decrease in BAYLIT sales.

Are yours increasing as fast as Brickbay's or the rest of the market though?
Dunno.

I don't want my business to pickup much, or I'll never have a moment of free
time.  And anyone who sells parts will agree with that.

The world still buys from both the city market (Brickbay) and the
supermarket (BAYLIT). (Even if the prices are lower at the city market.)

Which is which again? Based on price, it's the other way around. Based on
inventory for right now maybe the way you have it... Maybe not for long if
BrickBay growth rates continue... But in some ways BrickBay is more like a
mall than a supermarket. It's in some ways a portal to many stores but not
quite since it provides the inventory and sale management infrastructure,
sellers only have to handle fulfillment.

Inventory variety, ok, I would venture that my selection is more complete that
anyone's and doesn't overlap (100 of the same part are in 50 different
stores)… In being one source for new parts, which is the market segment I'm
serving, I doubt that I will soon be topped.  I serve my market; they serve
theirs.

First impressions stick. Several people have said they got that perception,
you're now free to do as you wish with the information. Personally, if you
damage your reputation, that's marginally incrementally better for the people
that I have close associations with that sell on BrickBay, but it's a third
or worse order effect. Still it shows that I have no personal stake in your
taking my advice, in fact I should theoretically rather you didn't. But I
don't. I hate to see reputations sullied needlessly.

Impressions are what they will be. On a transaction basis, my reputation is
unsullied, and will remain so.  (Not that you are) accusing me of being a
less-than-savory character would be an outrageous statement, and I'm certain
that the few LUGNETers I've met would agree.

However, it appears that whenever anyone pops their head up to do something,
there are those who will be publicly unimpressed - and that's the risk I take
willingly.  I still believe that my actions have both served to raise issues
that should be addressed, and provided a greater service to the community of
FOLs.

(On the other hand, I have quite a list of individuals who order and never
pay)

-Jon