 Marketplace / Theory / 1612
Re: When a hobby becomes a business, cost basis, income taxes, etc.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 13:28:56 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Ben Gatrelle writes:
After having thought about this awhile and calling the IRS (but I'm not an
account and YMMV), my understanding is the following.  If you aren't a
business, then any individual sets you sell and make a profit on are taxed
as capital gains (sets--or parts, for that matter).  It doesn't matter
whether the hobby as a whole makes money or not, only individual items.  I
know nothing about declaring the thing a business, but even if you don't,
there is potential tax liability with any sale that makes a profit.
Alan                                                  >Posted to
.buy-sell-trade and .auctions, FU set to market.theory

I notice that the trend is definitely toward selling parts rather than sets.
In the past I have sold, mostly on eBay, mostly complete sets. I have
purchased a selection of sets on clearance recently and have been planning on
parting them out for sale on brickbay.  I used to very carefully keep track of
the cost and quantity of every set I bought. Some months the profit from the
sets I sold would cover the cost of the sets I've kept. Other months I would
spend a whole lot more than I made from sales. Other months I would actually
make more than I purchased and kept. I think a lot of people auction and sell
their sets and parts to offset the ones they keep for themselves. No new news
here.  My question is about turning this "hobby" into a business.

If I buy a 100 piece set for $10 keep five or ten pieces, sell the rest of the
pieces for $15, do I say I made a profit of $5 (assuming no auctioning fees,
etc.). Do I need to adjust the cost figure for the pieces I kept? I'm not even
sure how to ask the questions in my mind.

I guess what it comes down to is does anyone know how much money you
can "make" at a hobby before the IRS requires you to claim it as income?  Or
conversely if you say this is a business and you are trying to make a profit,
what do you do about the pieces and/or sets you keep? Do you include this as a
Research and development cost?  I guess I need to talk to a CPA or bookkeeper
about what I can and cannot do if I want to jump into this selling thing with
both feet, or just one foot.

This is too long already so...
Any comments would be appreciated

BEN GATRELLE