 Marketplace / Theory / 1614
Re: When a hobby becomes a business, cost basis, income taxes, etc.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 19:16:44 GMT

Ben Gatrelle wrote:

Posted to .buy-sell-trade and .auctions, FU set to market.theory • snip...
I guess what it comes down to is does anyone know how much money you
can "make" at a hobby before the IRS requires you to claim it as income?  Or
conversely if you say this is a business and you are trying to make a profit,
what do you do about the pieces and/or sets you keep? Do you include this as a
Research and development cost?  I guess I need to talk to a CPA or bookkeeper
about what I can and cannot do if I want to jump into this selling thing with
both feet, or just one foot.

This is too long already so...
Any comments would be appreciated

BEN GATRELLE

I don't have the answers, but I'd like to know them.

If you're going to shoot for a full-blown business, keep track of your
expenses. Include not only the cost of the sets, but travel expense(keep
track of mileage), try to set up a home office, include items needed to
support your sales, such as a scanner, computer, ISP and phone costs, and
how much time you spend on this business. I'm sure I'm missing points. Not
to encourage you down a criminal track, but way the expenses of doing these
auctions legit vs. trying to stay under the radar. Unless your going to make
your living off this, I wouldn't rush to work with the IRS. JMO.

Ice