 Marketplace / Theory / 1613
Re: The Best thing about Brickbay...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 15:27:14 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Jennifer L. Boger writes:
I guess all this gets down to I am really pushing Brickbay for anyone that
might consider it and doesn't mind the work (thats the one hurdle it is
quite a bit of work).  You have to pick your sets wisely but if you do you
can provide a service to the community as well as to yourself.  Then if you
have kids you can also use this as a tool to teach them business management
and how to run their own business.

what about us poor saps who can't bear to break apart a set?  oh sure, i might
not need this piece today, but what about tommorrow?  :)  Besides, it doesn't
count as owning a set if i only own *some* of the parts to it...

Well I guess that brings up an important division within our hobby, those that
collect sets and those that mostly build MOC's.

I will admit that I usually will get a set and build it once and keep all the
parts for my collection.  After that though I could care less.  I don't need 10
complete copies of any set.  If there are a few parts I need for a project and
I can get them in a couple copies of the set why not take out those parts and
sell the rest?  Especially those parts you don't see yourself having a need
for.

It's economies of scale for me anyway.  I can afford to buy 10 copies of a set
very rarely if I keep all the parts for myself.  If I keep only the parts I
need and sell the rest then I can afford to by many more sets and keep many
more sets and sell many more parts.

I guess I am saying that instead of waiting for TLC to provide true bulk
ordering I decided get what I need myself buy buying sets and then selling the
other parts to defray my costs, which in turn provides a service to the
community.

For those that have a need for complete sets I guess this isn't such a good
plan but if you are building lots of MOC's too then this is one way to supply
yourself with some of the parts you need.  And in the end you get the parts for
an excellent price plus a bit of work.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/