 Marketplace / Services / 208
Re: BAYLIT - Brickbay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 15:41:24 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, Troy Cefaratti writes:
"Tom Heidemann" <taheidem@execpc.com> wrote in message
Hey... how about listing the brickbay sites by number of parts?  The more • you
post, the higher on the list you are!  That way we can avoid anyone
opening "AAA Lego Sales".

I think Dan closed the barn door (with his statement about not putting special
chars into names in order to sort to the top) a horse or two too late.
Personally, were I he, I'd go tell a few people they need to change their
store name, based purely on whim so there can't be any hue and cry about who
got asked to change.

I thought about suggesting this myself.  I think it would be a great way to
promote those people that use the site extensively.  Providing a link to an
alphabetical listing would probably be a good idea though, fo rthose people
looking for a store by name.

Unfortunately, there are ways to cheat your way to the top of this type of
list too.  Such as listing 3,000,000 Yellow 1x1 bricks @ $5 each.

Yes.

The general idea here is worth discussing, I think. I'd like to see several
different ways of organizing... by alpha, by geography, by feedback rating!,
by whether the site is "parts oriented" or "set oriented" (maybe this is
something the site owner chooses), by whether it is "new set", "promo
set", "used set" (again, maybe keywords that get entered into the site
description) oriented, by how many parts are there, by how many sets are
there, by average price per set, per part, etc.

A lot of these sorts would put the current BAYLIT store at the very bottom. (1)

Basically, BrickBay is a big enough success now (and bravo to Dan for making
it happen) that there are enough stores that making it easy to sort the stores
by what you are looking for is helpful. I think. I could be all wet.

(multiple ways of looking at data or of finding things is a recurring theme of
mine, witness my recent DAT musings, my statements about how sets should be
searchable in the Guide, etc. etc.)

1 - as it should be, Jon came out and said he saw no need for BrickBay, now
he's sort of coattailing. Contrast that with my MiltonTrainWorks site. I was
originally going to do an eCommerce thing, the whole guild was going to get
together. We now see no need, BrickBay is that good, and my site blurbage
takes you to BrickBay and discourages you from mailing direct. But then I
don't have a large existing eCommerce infrastructure to protect.