 Marketplace / Theory / 1858
Re: Feeback - how worthwhile is it?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 00:17:50 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Mike Stanley writes:
I've been mulling over the feedback thing in my mind lately, especially
after someone pointed out what appears to be a pretty strong effort to "pump
up" feedback by making multiple small orders from the same buyer on Brickbay.

So I guess what I'm wondering is - what do people do when they see a number
next to someone's name?  If it is high (say above 50) do they automatically
assume "ah, trustworthy person" without reviewing it?

Mostly, I ignore feedback numbers. Unless there is some problem with an order,
then I go back and see if this has happened before. Thats informative.

If it is low (say below 5) do they assume anything?  Do they always go read
it, thinking maybe the person has to be new, at least to that system?

I don't assume anything about buyers. The 'body launguage' & tempo of a persons
email communications, payment & nickname (!) usually gives me a feel for whats
happening. If someone fails to respond, its usually with feedback below 5.

If it is high and they go check it out and see things like 2, 3, 4, or more
orders between a buyer and a seller, all on the same day, does that suggest
anything?

Again, I tend not to pay attention to that unless there are other signs of an
impending problem. Until I have done business with someone 3 (or more) times, I
treat all buyers equally.

Ray