 Marketplace / Theory / 1856
1855  |  1857
Subject:
Feeback - how worthwhile is it?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 23:51:54 GMT

I've been mulling over the feedback thing in my mind lately, especially
after someone pointed out what appears to be a pretty strong effort to "pump
up" feedback by making multiple small orders from the same buyer on Brickbay.

So I guess what I'm wondering is - what do people do when they see a number
next to someone's name?  If it is high (say above 50) do they automatically
assume "ah, trustworthy person" without reviewing it?

If it is low (say below 5) do they assume anything?  Do they always go read
it, thinking maybe the person has to be new, at least to that system?

If it is high and they go check it out and see things like 2, 3, 4, or more
orders between a buyer and a seller, all on the same day, does that suggest
anything?

I'll give my answers to those for the curious.

Yes, most of the time.  Although if I don't recognize the username or name
of the person I usually review it just because I like to see what others say
about someone who is buying from me, but I do it with the firm assumption
that "high feedback probably means trustworthy".

No, if it is low I don't assume anything.  Too many new people popping in
(and that's a good thing) to get into the habit of assuming low feedback
means anything besides newness.

Dunno about the third.