 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 10001
Re: LARGEST LEGO LOT ON EBAY EVER!! (???)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.org.us.gardenslug
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 20:57:28 GMT

Mike Walsh wrote:

"r2" <lego@r2eng.com> wrote in message news:G8CFAK.LAA@lugnet.com...

r2 wrote in message ...
Ok, he emailed me. I will try to get together with him ASAP so there is • time
to process what I find.

I am still waiting for him to call me. I am becoming more skeptical, but
maybe he will prove me right.

Rose

I looked at those pictures and thought to myself "ugh", I can't imagine
sorting it.  I have picked up unsorted used LEGO on a couple of occasions
and the process of sorting it out is extremely time consuming, particularly
if you want to reconstruct sets.  I probably have 10 gallons, maybe more, of
unsorted LEGO that I'll get to one of these days.  About the only time I go
through it is when I can't find the particular element I want in my sorted
LEGO.  Someone's would have to have an enormous amount of free time to
process that much LEGO (either that or I am extremely inefficient at it).

IMHO, there is a huge difference between sorting new LEGO from multiple
copies of the same set as compared to gallons of unsorted LEGO.

I am slowly becomming convinced that it isn't worth trying to
reconstruct sets unless you know a particular set is in a collection,
and you really want to build it. I haven't decided yet what the best way
to document a collection for insurance purposes is, but that might be
another reason to reconstruct sets.

I have a couple unsorted collections (one filling about 4 copier paper
boxes, and that's after having built many sets out of the unsorted mess
[the blizzard of 2000 was quite helpful to this effort...]) that I'm
slowly coming to the conclusion that I may just sort into my storage
system and skip the sets (except for perhaps a couple more sets I'd like
to build at least once).

One also has to really appreciate the sellers like uncledanstoys and
ibuyifdpriceisright who sort the LEGO they sell on eBay into relatively
associated groups. The good part for them is that they get more money
for doing so (I got some good deals from vwbugrazz who just jumbled
stuff together, I just wish I had decided I wanted 4.5v and 12v
electrics earlier, one could have probably got some cheap stuff, I would
up with 5 12v lamps from his auctions but no wiring, I have since
acquired enough 4.5v wiring that I will soon *GASP* cut and solder some
9v-12v wiring converters, and I think still have enough 4.5v wiring to
run the few 4.5v accessories I have [actually I think I just have one, a
motor], I may also use a 4.5v battery box to run the 12v train motor I
should be getting soon).

Of course it's fairly easy to make these lots I think because you really
only need to do a 1st level sort (grab a bunch of windows for example),
though a little bit of extra sorting is also worthwhile for certain
parts (get a bunch of windows of the same style and color for example).

Frank

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com