 Local / Australia / 554
Re: Pax Americana (was Re: Where did you lot spring from?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 02:56:12 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Peter Callaway writes:
It's depressing, and IIRC it was started by an Australian emigre catering to
US myths about Australia.

I still get asked about Kangaroos in the middle of Sydney and pet Koala's in
the back yard, and they're quite serious when they ask! One myth that's true
though is that Cadbury's chocolate is better than Hershey's (and I can speak
from a tasting experience). <GD&R>

Ugh, does that sound familiar... I get asked if everyone in Israel speaks
Yiddish (heck no!), if I ride a camel to school (!), and "are you SURE it's
not all a big desert?!"

Not to mention that I have to defend the IDF* :-) ...First of all I have to
defend the fact that I *have* to go there... then I have to explain the fact
that I *want* to go there...

*Israeli Defense Forces, ie the military

-Shiri