 Local / Australia / 583
Re: Some US-like things about LUGNET (Was Re: Where did you lot spring from?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 6 May 2000 01:40:34 GMT

Mr L F Braun wrote in message <3910A891.B1F81255@pilot.msu.edu>...

Quick wee nitpicks from a USian with Canadian and British affinities:

Excellent! Constructive criticism is welcome ;-)

And if you make the connection that profanity = colour, you're not being
creative enough.  ;)  I think .loc.au, which I enjoy reading very much--I • agree
100% with Paul's extolling of stream-of-consciousness threads--is • wonderfully
colourful without resorting to vulgarities.

Well..... you have to remember that I'm talking about the milder
vulgarities, I don't mean the stuff that makes old ladies blush, I'm talking
about the words/phrases we use in everyday life for exactly the same reasons
that we use them in everyday life - they give emotional emphasis while
keeping the flow of our writing natural and not stilted or weird-sounding.
The kinds of words/phrases that only the fewest, least tolerant LUGNET users
object to. I'd only use them occasionaly, when it felt appropriate.
Currently, though, that's never.
Oh, and it's nice not to have to spend hours being creative trying to figure
out how to say something "cleanly" when you have better things to do than
sit in front of the computer all night ;-)

The second issue, that of constructive criticism, isn't a matter of being
US-centered.  If anything, I'd say that most of the criticism I receive on • my
MOCs comes out of the US--and I do give constructive criticism.

Well, that's quite the opposite of my experiences on LUGNET.

Why do you
think that it's a sign of US-centricity?  If you go by sheer volume you • have to
run it through the above-mentioned demographic filter, to account for the
plurality of US-based Lugnetters, before you can draw reliable conclusions.

But that's exactly what I do! You have to remember that I don't live in the
U.S. so I can easily compare my own culture to the mostly U.S. LUGNET. My
overwhelming experience with Australians/Europeans has been that if they see
flaws and possible improvements they will point them out, but if I see it
happen on LUGNET it is almost never American. Look, I speak only of what
I've observed, not of ultimate truth. Until I see good evidence that
reluctance to criticise is not a particularly American trait, I'll just have
to go with that theory.

I agree with Paul and others that we should be conscious of how the centre • of
Lugnet is perceived, and that it is gravitated towards the US--but I • disagree
that the above two points are themselves indicative of where that centre • is.

Again, I'm sorry, but being a mere human I tend judge the world by applying
logic to what I observe, rather than simply accepting what people tell me
the world is like. A foolish weakness, I know, but one that I can't seem to
shake off..... ;-)

Cheers,
Paul
LUGNET member 164