 Local / Australia / 473
Re: Where did you lot spring from?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 22:35:24 GMT

Mark Harrison wrote in message <390EA9ED.D286D372@one.net.au>...

No secret, just that they are in a different league to the rest of us.
Last I heard, they were buying so much lego parts per month that they
were dealing directly with Denmark and having it shipped direct to them.
At least that is what my contact at lego in Sydney told me.

Gee, that's pretty fair, not! Only want to play with the big boys, eh TLC?
That's it, that's what _we've_ got to do. Does anyone in loc.au speak
Danish?!?

They are the Ditman family, consisting of three or four brothers (only
one is married). They own and run a successful optometry practice in
Perth and regularly put on huge lego displays in shopping centres. A mate
of mine in Perth has confirmed a rumour I had heard that they are
converting the upper floor of the building the practice is in to a
permanent lego display.

I've never seen them get involve in any lego internet discussion in the
last five years.

Well, from the sound of it they'd already have all the admirers they'd ever
need!!!
Jonathan, if you are reading this, hurry over to the Ditmans' optometry
practice as soon as you can, and tell us all about it!

What I mean is that prior to the new policy, lego in Australia was able
to successfully request any quantity of any part that was in the "stock"
book from Denmark if the order could not be filled from stock in
Australia.

This happened in NZ as well. I remember it all too clearly when Sanjay
D'Souza spilled the beans about his bulk buying, now THERE was a provocative
discussion: "I'd monitor various parts auctions with some amusement.  Here
was I able to order pieces at ridiculous prices while others had to fight it
out for certain pieces..."

For example, a couple of years ago I decided I wanted to build a large
prime mover and semi combination but didn't have enough large 24x43
wheels so I just rang lego and ordered 20, a week later they arrived.
I wanted some extra monorail hill pieces, so I ordered them and a week
later they arrived. I bought a used 6285 which was missing the pirate
babe, I ordered one and it arrived.

Did you go as far with it as Sanjay did? And were you amused too? ;-)

Now it's like getting blood from a stone, nothing but excuses.

Someone on the newsgroup was asking when lego direct was coming to
Australia. Hmmmmm..........
Australia had something better than lego direct up until the end of 1998.
I doubt we'll be so lucky ever again.

Well, it's a pretty baffling mystery as to exactly why we won't. Apparently
TLC don't want our money. Oh well, it's their loss.

Cheers,
Paul
LUGNET member 164
http://www.geocities.com/doctorshnub/