 Local / Australia / 472
Re: Where did you lot spring from?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 10:25:56 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Mark Harrison writes:
Hi Paul,

No secret, just that they are in a different league to the rest of us.
Last I heard, they were buying so much lego parts per month that they
were dealing directly with Denmark and having it shipped direct to them.
At least that is what my contact at lego in Sydney told me.

They are the Ditman family, consisting of three or four brothers (only
one is married). They own and run a successful optometry practice in
Perth and regularly put on huge lego displays in shopping centres. A mate
of mine in Perth has confirmed a rumour I had heard that they are
converting the upper floor of the building the practice is in to a
permanent lego display.

Maybe we should be purchasing from them :^)
Or at least getting some tips from them about dealing with Lego.

I've never seen them get involve in any lego internet discussion in the
last five years.

I never fully appreciated what a good spare parts service we used to have
in Australia until it was almost to late. The Ditmans made the most of
the spare parts policy for a couple of years.

What I mean is that prior to the new policy, lego in Australia was able
to successfully request any quantity of any part that was in the "stock"
book from Denmark if the order could not be filled from stock in
Australia.

For example, a couple of years ago I decided I wanted to build a large
prime mover and semi combination but didn't have enough large 24x43
wheels so I just rang lego and ordered 20, a week later they arrived.
I wanted some extra monorail hill pieces, so I ordered them and a week
later they arrived. I bought a used 6285 which was missing the pirate
babe, I ordered one and it arrived.

Now it's like getting blood from a stone, nothing but excuses.

Do you know how many people Lego Australia employs and what the rough
breakdown is ? very rough will do ? I hope it's not just one person to
answer the phone and make excuses.

Someone on the newsgroup was asking when lego direct was coming to
Australia. Hmmmmm..........
Australia had something better than lego direct up until the end of 1998.
I doubt we'll be so lucky ever again.

pete.w