 Local / Australia / 560
Re: Where did you lot spring from?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 05:06:07 GMT

<!!!Potentially Offensive Joke About Language Proficiency Alert!!!> (heh)

Bram Lambrecht wrote:

Mr L F Braun <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> writes:
there's almost 300 million USians, ~250 million of
whom are fluent speakers of English (however one defines
that in the US, can you tell I've been grading student
papers again?).

LOL!  Ever noticed, even on LUGNET, that many of the non-native speakers
of English use better grammer than quite a few Americans?  Every now and
then, some obscure idiom slips in, but otherwise, I must commend you
ESLers on your proficiency[1]!

As the joke goes, if you know three languages, you're trilingual.  If you
know two languages, you're bilingual.  If you know one language, you're
English.  If you know no languages, you're American.  (This is very
North-Atlantic-centered, I know--in California, if you know one language,
the joke goes that you're either Australian or from Texas--be the language
English or Spanish.)  A possible corollary suggested to me by a faculty
member here who is demonstrably fluent in sixteen (!!!) languages across
four major families is that "if you know more languages than you have
borders, you're Dutch."

1) well, actually, English is my fourth language, but I've spoken it
since I was five, so it's the one I know best.  In the meantime, I've
managed to retain some of my Dutch, relearn my Spanish, and forget my
German...

What's language #1?  I've been trying to figure out where "Lambrecht" comes
from; I figured either Germany, Austria, or Denmark, maybe the
Netherlands--but maybe it's Scandinavia?  (pardon my forgetfulness)  As for
me, my German is atrophied, I can read most Romance and western Germanic
languages, and hopefully I'll be functional in Dutch come this time next
year.

best

Lindsay