 Local / Australia / 505
Re: Where did you lot spring from?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 03:32:38 GMT

Xposting to .general... this needs a bit more publicity IMHO :-)
This is not solely an .loc.au thing...

In lugnet.loc.au, Peter Callaway writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Richard Franks writes:

True - LUGNET has been designed to be international, but regardless of
statistics, it is easy to *percieve* LUGNET as US-centric. This is probably
just because more Americans are online more often, and not because Americans
are evil.

Not only that, it's a double reason (well, IMHO, not based on any statistics
or anything)):
-There is a large _Americans : other countries_ ratio that participate in
lugnet
-I dunno about the Aussies, but when I was in Israel I had significantly less
amounts of time to spend on lugnet. Here I have a much-faster, 24-7 connection
that I can check and post to every few minute, even while doing other things.
I didn't have this in Israel - my connection was EXTRA slow, and it was
considered exrta-fast when compared to my friends' connections... (I think it
was 128 bps... :-). I don't know if Australia has it better off, but I think
Americans in general have more time to be online (even in the bg at work, or
something).

I think this is a natural effect, and something that will dissipate in time
as
more of the world enjoys cheaper net-access. To me, the things that
contribute
to the US centric perception would be the frequent US only references (eg US
shopping outlets, prices in USD, US-only services, US Culture) in common
newsgroups such as lugnet.general etc. These aren't listed because I believe
they should be curtailed, but it might aid understanding of where the
perception comes from.

Cheaper net-access is one thing, and true; but another thing is cheap lego.
You have NO idea how expensive and/or hard-to-find lego is in non-US/Euro
countries. I NEVER EVER bought lego in Israel in the 12 years (out of 16) that
I've lived there. I got it from europe, the US, any source that I could
possibly get it.
Just so you get a feel for it, in the biggest lego-carrying toy store network
(called Han toys) I would rarely see more than 10 sets. I would often see sets
at prices that you would never believe, like 5571 for 1000 NIS (at the time
~$330, nowadays more like $250).

Not so much alienated as peeved to the hilt with all the service options given
to the US that are not offered worldwide. <snip> Sorry if I upset the new
Lugnet/TLC relationship, but the last post from Brad Justus really gave me
the irrits.

Tell me about it. I consider myself currently lego-wise lucky, 'coz I'm
stocking up on sets, pieces and general deals that I will not have any chance
of getting when I move back to Israel (a year from now, probably). I have no
idea how the heck I'll get used to my former situation (beg for one set twice
a year, when parents/relatives go abroad). Doesn't matter that I'll have my
own income sources now - I just cannot get lego in Israel. No way, no how.

Check out .loc.il - you'll see that the two Israelis there (1) are craving for
sets. I think it was David who mentioned that he buys sets thru S@H and ships
them to Israel, but I'm not sure.

I think Todd and Suz have done a marvelous job of creating a neutral zone for
all AFOL's to meet in cyberspace, where international boundaries can be
broken. Having the .loc groups is a stoke of genius IMO, as it still allows
people from different regions to "talk shop" without worrying about cultural
or language barriers, and gives the place a more personal feel.

Oh, definitely. The .loc groups are great, it's too bad that they feel they're
alienated, though.
<rant> I *really* wish TLC would realize that they should ship worldwide...
<sigh> <\rant>

Now that I've got that out of my system... good night!

-Shiri

(1) not including Dan B. and me - I check it out every once in a while, but
I'm not actually IN Israel right now so I can't really contribute much :-)