 Local / Australia / 463
Re: Where did you lot spring from?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 07:57:19 GMT

Hi Peter,

I didn't know that there was a loc.au until you mentioned it.

I've been accummulating lego for about five years now from all over
Australia. I've reached the stage where I had too much and my wife • made
the ultimatum, either the lego goes or she goes. So I did what any • lego
maniac would do, negoiated to keep half of it, naturally the trains • and
town. So Barbara is happy and my credit cards aren't in need of mouth • to
mouth.

Five years ? You must have found some interesting things in that time.

What do you think was your prize find ?

5 years ago, no one was interested in lego accept me, which was great
for a
while as I was having "finds of the decade" every week, sometimes every
day. I
noticed that many stores in Brisbane had begun to change there policy
regarding
discounting lego, as it was starting to be offered at a discount,
especially the
discontinued stock. Normally 20 to 30% was taken off, sometimes more.
Sometimes
the prices were so old that paying full price was a discount compared to
todays
costs.

Once I had bought up all the old stock sets in Brisbane I started to
look
further afield. I went to the yellow pages internet site and down loaded
the
name, address and phone number of every store in Queensland that could
possibly
sell toys and methodically rang every single one asking a couple of
standard
questions that kept the conversation short (20 or 30 Secs) but nearly
always
gave a good indication whether the store may be worth further
investigation.
Toyworld Gympie was one of the better ones, spent ~$600 on early 9V
train sets
all 50% off. included two club cars and five croc engines etc.

Once I had cleaned out Queensland, I downloaded the phone numbers for
all toy
stores in Australia and spent the next three months every Saturday
morning
(cheaper call rate) ringing as many stores as I could until about 1 pm
when most
closed for the day. I started with NSW country, VIC country, TAS
country, SA
country, NT country and finally WA country. I did this on the premise
that I was
more likely to find old stock in stores that had a slower turnover,eg.
country
towns.

It was only after doing the country areas that I ventured into the
suburbs and
the cities.

Most of the bargains dried up about 18 months ago. Now I buy most of the
stuff
that interests me from the US or Europe and pay for most of it with the
stuff I
found over the last couple of years.

Needless to say, if I wanted to display all the technic, train, town,
model
team, space, pirate, castle, promos, fabuland and floating boat sets,
I'd need a
medium sized hall.

I'm in the process of rationalising the collection, selling of the
themes that I
have little time to get into.

The first to go was the technic, 90+ sets sold to a fellow in Japan. I'm

currently auctioning off the fabuland.

I hope to reduce the collection by half keeping the trains, town, model
team,
boats and promos.

The cupboard looks pretty bare now,
at least in NSW and VIC, what was the situation like 5 years ago ?
Do you have a big setup with trains and town integrated ?

Second biggest in Australia.

Has anyone ever seen a 7750 or 7760 in Australia?

so stay tuned and join the chat,
pete.w