 Local / Australia / 475
Re: Where did you lot spring from?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 11:16:05 GMT

Peter White wrote:

In lugnet.loc.au, Mark Harrison writes:

I'm in the process of rationalising the collection, selling of the
themes that I
have little time to get into.

The first to go was the technic, 90+ sets sold to a fellow in Japan. I'm

currently auctioning off the fabuland.

Yeah,I noticed your post in Technic about the collection for sale and the
rabid dogs that set upon you for posting it there. I thought it was an
appropriate place seeing it was 100% Technic. If a sale like that wouldn't
interest them, you wonder what would.

I must say I like keeping the compartmentalised dorks on their toes. Most of
them weren't around before lugnet took off and will never know what they were
missing out on by having one big cosmopolitan newsgroup. It was alive and it
wasn't controlled by the dorks. The whole concept of Lugnet is very US centric.
Don't hold your breath waiting for lego direct to put a branch in Australia, at
least not in this millenium.

I hope to reduce the collection by half keeping the trains, town, model
team,
boats and promos.

Let us all know when the next batch comes up. I'm sure myself and
some of the others would be interested in seeing what's available.

I'll put up my current fabuland auction (and see who complains).

Do you have a big setup with trains and town integrated ?

Second biggest in Australia.

That of course begs the question of who is number one. Maybe you can mention
to them about our group and see if they can join in, if they're online.

See my other post to this group about the Ditmans.

A couple more theory questions.

Since you have Model Team, what do you think are the reasons that the 5561
rally van failed to sell ? It has some nice parts and looks quite good.

Price. Lacked originality since it was so similar to 5550 and 5581.
Personally I hate the balloon tyres on it, they were unrealistically large.
There are so many great vehicles they could model, why the fixation on prime
movers, gragsters and ugly look vans. The last decent looking model was the 2556
Shell Ferrari.

What I'd like to see is some piece of earthmoving equipment or a steam
locomotive like the 396 Thatcher Perkins Engine (by the the way, would anyone
have the original instructions for this), even a nice big road bike.

I was looking back thru the early posts, and someone mentioned about buying
in bulk from Lego Australia and something about the limit being $5000 worth,
do you know if anyone actually did this ?

See my post re Ditmans in Perth.

Have you any advice about dealing with LA, since it looks like we would like
to make some approach in the near future regarding a number of issues.

Customer service has been on a down hill slide for the past two years, due to an
unsympathetic
management team and huge staff cuts. They have literally become leaner and
meaner. If it doesn't make an obvious profit it ain't going to happen. From what
I have heard, you have a better chance of a smpathetic ear from lego in NZ than
Australia but of course you then have the added expense of getting the sets to
ozz from NZ.

Have you managed to meet up with any Lego Brisbanites at all and compare
notes.

Only one, Peter Parsons, he's mainly into space lego. Maybe he's lurking at the
moment.

Lastly, could you name your top three and bottom three themes/subthemes ?
Not your favourite, but the ones the most amount of thought went into (TLC),
and of course the three doggiest of the dogs (beyond all hope themes).

I'm probably not the best to ask this question, I've giving up on most of the
stuff that came out in the last five years. The only sets that do occasional
surprise me are the promo sets. At the moment I've got my fingers crossed
waiting for five copies of the Velux house set that I've ordered. Promo sets
aren't really a theme but a design concept and they don't tend to be juniorised
like most of the junk that lego produces now.

Of course, 12V trains were thought out quite thoroughly and then discontinued. I
haven't had much interest in many of the themes, yes I've got space, castle and
pirate sets but only because they were in collections I bought for the town and
train sets. I'd say that a lot of thought went into all the themes up to about
1993, then some idiot in Denmark must have put an economist in charge of the
design team. When this obviously failed they came up with the bright idea that
they didn't have to keep coming up with original design concepts, just buy the
rights to someone elses and vola, poo lego, disney lego, fairy lego and starwars
lego and then they put that poor old economist on the job of designing a new
train set and vola!! the black and yellow joke followed by the blue
misery.

Oo Roo

Mark H.

pete.w